Reliable Wireless Power Harvest and Transfer System for High-voltage Power Transmission Line Monitoring
Key Problem and Market Opportunity
- The 2008 power blackout in China resulted in a total financial loss exceeding RMB $100B (approx. US$15B). The blackout was related the malfunction of its online monitoring system.
- The online monitoring system for power transmission systems is critical for reporting the status of the power grid and detection of potential power failure. Conventional solar cell with large battery storage for providing power to the monitoring instrument is not practical due to unreliable energy harvesting in bad weather. Long-lasting freezing rain and snow in some area causes these system failed to response to potential blackout.
- A reliable power supply is essential to power the monitoring instruments. Otherwise, the monitoring instrument may not be able to report the status of the power transmission system.
Key Advantages of the Technology
- Embedding coils in insulated media for extreme environment
- Continuously power harvesting from the high voltage power cable
- Reduced Weight
- Smaller rechargeable battery storage and/or super capacitor could be used
Potential Product and Services
- Power supply for electronic monitoring devices working in high-voltage power transmission system
Development status and IP Strength
- PCT Application No. PCT/CN2016/106225
- US Application No. 15/355,978
- Device prototype is available in laboratory scale