Universal Fracture Healing Accelerator for External Fixators
- Medical Devices
- Reference No.
Key Problem and Market Opportunity
- Delayed union or non-union are common in fracture healing
- 5-10% of fractures resulted in non-union.
- Clinically, a new way to accelerate fracture healing and to reduce non-union rate is needed
- One of the effective means: creating weight-bearing like micromotion at the fracture site
- This NEW ACCELERATOR can be adapted to different external fixators
The new accelerator (MMU, ) speeds up fracture healing by 20%. In rodent model, clear bone formation at week 6 after operation was observed with MMU applied to external fixator .
The new accelerator can provide adjustable uniform strain at the fracture site during treatment with a feedback correction mechanism .
Stage of Development
- Lab prototype ready
- Require large animal study to enhance the design
Key Advantages of the Technology
- Compact to accommodate various conditions
- Completely computer-assisted controlled micromotion
- Programmable personalized treatment regime
- Enhances fracture healing by 20% in terms of time to heal
- Variable strain can be generated to cater to individual variations
Potential Product and Services
- An individual module to attached to different external fixator
- Integrated component of external fixators
- US Provisional Application (No. 62947569)
- PCT application in progress
- Patent application submitted
- Development partner